Good to know about prices
Prices used at checkout are in Canadian Dollar - CAD. Use exchange rate converter right of the cart symbol above to see prices in USD ($), EUR (€) or BPS (£).
Downloads are for free.
What is it?
Our products are network music players where new electronics have been retrofitted into 20th century design items. The player connects to Bluetooth and it connects also to your home network via network cable or Wi-Fi. You can connect Bluetooth speaker systems or Bluetooth headphones and in addition also connect your wired passive Hi-Fi speakers. It is easy to switch between the different speakers. You stream audio from your devices using your apps. The devices you can use are smart phones, tablets and Windows, Mac and Linux computers. Besides your apps, you can attached a USB flash memory stick and do playback of stored music files on there.
What are you able to do?
You can stream any audio app on your devices using Bluetooth or Airplay or UPnP.
With your Spotify premium account you can with the Spotify Connect feature use the ordinary Spotify app to stream music directly to the player without first passing through your phone.
Music files on the attached USB can be of the formats: MP3, FLAC, WAV, M4a, AAC, ALAC, DSD, MPC and some other less common digital audio formats are supported (as mentioned below the Player uses MPD – the Linux Music Player Daemon and hence supports all of MPD’s default applicable formats).
Airplay can be used for streaming from iPhones and iPads (or any device supporting Airplay) to the player. Works very well with iTunes on iOS and Windows.
This is an app free system - you don't have to download an keep track of yet another app... instead the settings like connections and the USB playback are managed through a web browser on your devices. Just enter http://player.local - if you have an Android device you must most likely use the actual IP address.
You can easily stream your music, favourite podcasts or listen to live web radio stations:
- Stream from your favourite apps: media players, music streaming services, play downloaded music, listen to podcasts or live web radio . . .
- Share the network music player with others - it is great to enjoy music together
- Share the player by connecting via Bluetooth - easy streaming
- Everyone that have a device connected to the same home network (Wi-Fi or cable) as the Network Music Player may manage the Player and do USB playback at anytime.
- Stream the music to a Bluetooth speaker or a Bluetooth headphone. In addition you can also connect wired passive speakers and switch between all the connected speakers.
What do you need?
- One of the following devices: iPhone, iPad or Android phones or tablets
- . . . or computers with Windows (PC), iOS (Mac) or Linux
- Web browser like: Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Apple Safari, Samsung Internet Browser or Mozilla Firefox
- Turn on Bluetooth on your devices
- Wi-Fi network with Internet access or a network cable to connect to the router of your network
- Audio apps for music, podcasts or radio . . .
- Music stored on digital formats on USB flash memory sticks
- Bluetooth speakers and Bluetooth headphones
- A pair of wired passive speakers, 4 - 8 Ω, minimum 50 W
Additional option that can be added:
- If you have a Spotify premium account you can use the Spotify Connect for a better integration of the Player and Spotify.
What do you get with your purchase?
Besides the Network Music Player, you will find the following accessories in the box:
- AC power cable
- AC/DC adapter, 120 V or 240 V AC to 24 V DC/3.0 A
- USB flash memory drive/stick containing the guides mentioned below, terms and conditions and licences.
- USB extension cable
The USB memory stick with the software is already attached into its USB port.
- One USB 2.0 port
- One inserted USB memory stick (for the software)
- One RJ-45 Gigabit Ethernet LAN port (IPv4)
- Wi-Fi 2.4 GHz (IPv4)
- Bluetooth 5.0
- Spotify Connect enabled
- Airplay is supported
- Also possible to use UPnP for streaming
- The network music player can be used as a stand alone Wi-Fi hotspot (turned off when connected to a Wi-Fi network)
Four speaker terminal posts for left and right channels.
Bluetooth 5.0. The player will be able to connect to Bluetooth speakers and Bluetooth headphones (supporting Bluetooth 2.1 or higher). It will only be able to stream to one Bluetooth device at the time, but several Bluetooth devices might be paired and thus easy to reconnect to.
DC input 24 V 3.0 A.
Single card computer Raspberry Pi 4 Model B, Broadcom 2711 Quad-core Cortex-A72 64-bit SoC @ 1.5GHz CPU, and 1 GB LPDDR4 SDRAM RAM.
USB memory stick of at least 16 GB for software and file system.
Class D amplifier IQaudio Pi-DigiAMP+, power output is 2 x 35 W (RMS) into 8 Ω. Impedance range 4 - 8 Ω. Remember that speaker sensitivity is just as important as impedance, should be at least 80 dB, preferably 85 dB or higher (the higher the better). It uses Texas Instruments chipset TAS5756m. The amplifier delivers full-HD audio up to 24-bit/192kHz playback, depending on the file format.
The Player’s software consists of specialized software running on a Linux operating system which is configured for the Raspberry Pi single computer board and the amplifier IQaudIO Pi-DigiAMP+. It includes well-known free open source software components as the Music Player Daemon for playback. Librespot for the Spotify Connect functionality, Shairport-Sync for Airplay streaming, and Upmpdcli for UPnP streaming.
Other important software system components are:
[Operating system] Raspberry Pi OS Lite (32-bit Debian Buster)
Streaming UPnP to Bluetooth speakers does not always work. It might or it might not. Workaround: use wired passive speakers.
A Getting Started guide on PDF format. [18 pages]
A comprehensive manual on PDF format [39 pages] with the following topics:
- Getting started
- Set up connections
- How to stream
- Connect Bluetooth Speakers
- Tips and tricks
- Trouble shooting
- System specifications
In addition, there is a one page installation quick guide on PDF format as well.
All documents above can be downloaded for free at the Extras and Downloads section.
Other important matters:
The support page can be found here.
The latest software version can be downloaded here. Or order a new USB stick (products sold 2021 or later) or new SD card (products sold 2020 or earlier).
Terms and conditions
Terms and conditions can be found here.
Spotify mentioned above are not in any way affiliated with Retro Audiophile Designs. Spotify is a registered trademark by Spotify AB, Stockholm, Sweden.