Download and install the latest update
The latest software package for the player can be downloaded as a zip file here, at the Extras and Downloads section. It is a pretty huge file and it consists of a so-called software image file which is an exact copy of all the software required (operating system, modules, files, drivers etc.), it is already installed, bootable, configured and setup for use. After download and unzipping the image you can from your PC or Mac write the software to a new USB memory stick using a disk imager software and then replace the existing one.
How to find the USB memory stick for the Player software
There are two USB ports of the player. One port is for USB playback and the other port is the special port designed for the USB memory stick that holds the software. The special USB port always has a USB memory stick attached (otherwise nothing will work). The original USB stick is a nano/mini sized and coloured black.
First of all, get the imaging software required by downloading the Win32 Disk Imager software (for Windows). Here you can download the required imager software. Another good option is balenaEtcher, it can be found here.
There is actually quite a few other disk imager software downloadable on the Internet. However, the Win32 Disk Imager is the most common one. It is not especially sophisticated, but it works.
You can always reuse the existing USB stick and write the new image on to it. However, we suggest that you might get a new one, just in case something goes wrong. It should be of at least 16 GB.
Install the new software
Follow the steps below:
- Unzip the downloaded software image.
- Insert an empty and formatted USB stick
- Open the Win32 Disk Imager.
- Select the downloaded and unzipped image file by using the folder button to the right of the Image File path box.
- Choose the device to be written to at the far most right. Click on the Device drop-down menu and choose the USB stick. Be careful to check that it is the right device.
- Click on the Write button at the bottom. Confirm that it really is the right device and wait . . . It takes some time depending on the size of the USB stick. Check the progress meter.
- Insert the USB memory stick in the special USB port and turn on the Player unit again.
Note: Unfortunately it is unavoidable that all user specific data (like Wi-Fi connections) are lost after an update. You have to connect the Network Music Player to your home Wi-Fi network again and to any Bluetooth speakers.
The release history can be found here.